As an employee of the firm, Shimmerman Penn provides you with and orientation as well as in-house training to ensure your transition from school to business is a smooth one. We also offer many benefits to help you through the process of obtaining your CPA designation.
- What will my typical hours of work be?
- SPLLP’s standard work week is 37.5 hours, with this minimum increasing to 45 hours/week during February and March and 50 hours in April. Extra hours during Feb – Apr are worked as flex time with the exception of April where we request 6 hours to be worked during the weekend. For the months of July and August, hours are reduced to 30 hours (see vacation and study leave below).
- How much vacation and study leave will I get?
- In addition to statutory holidays and vacation entitlement, all professional staff also benefit from reduced hours during the months of July and August (4 day work weeks) and an extended Christmas break – this provides almost 3 weeks (combined) of additional annual paid time off!
- CPA students enrolled in Capstone Modules 1 & 2 and employed full time for at least 3 months qualify for 2 weeks of paid study leave and 3 days of paid leave to write the CFE; the remainder of your study leave would be unpaid or partially covered by vacation entitlement.
- Do you reimburse for exams and/or dues?
- SPLLP reimburses CPA students for Capstone 1 & 2, and CFE exam fees on your first attempt.
- Students who studied in programs that eliminate the Capstone requirement receive a reimbursement equal to the Capstone fees.
- Your CPA student registration fees and subsequent admission/membership dues are paid by SPLLP on your behalf.
- What training do you offer?
- SPLLP provides an annual course calendar of targeted training for all levels of staff, including students.
- What kind of social activities does the office participate in?
- ♦ Annual tax season games and activities – staff participate in frequent breaks during tax season to let off some steam and reconnect with their coworkers for some fun competition.
- ♦ Tax season fun lunches and snack breaks – throughout tax season and particularly during the month of April, we host in-house lunches for all staff from some of our favorite restaurants; we also provide a selection of healthy (and not so healthy) snacks to keep you going!
- ♦ After Tax Party – we celebrate the last day of tax season out at a local hot spot and give you the following day off!
- ♦ Annual Fall Social – staff come together after busy summer holidays to spend a day in the city reconnecting with their coworkers (past events have included outings to a Blue Jays games, SPiN, the Rec Room, and Amazing Race Toronto).